Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Who is This "Clyde" Fellow, Anyway?


This is a question that's come up a few times.

Well, Clyde is my bicycle. Some people name their cars, especially older cars that have developed a bit of character. I name bicycles.

Clyde not the fastest; he's not the lightest. He's built heavy; he's built sturdy, and he's made to carry stuff. He's got a rear rack, panniers (kind of like a horse's saddlebags, but not attached to the saddle, so they need a fancy name), fenders to help deal with inclement weather, and gearing designed for climbing hills with a load rather than hammer out the flats at high speed. 

In short, he's more of a Clydesdale than a Quarter-horse. The name just makes sense.

I ride Clyde to work 3-4 days a week; I take him to run errands. You might see me around town loaded up with stuff from the grocery store or Big Box retailer, pedaling to my heart's content, a giant smile on my face. 

You see, riding Clyde is fun. He's not fast, but I know that whatever the job is, he'll help me get it done. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment